Chef Kenneth Wan was recently nominated as a James Beard 2024 Semi-Finalist for the Emerging Chef award. MAKfam, recently named by Denver Post as one of the hottest restaurants to open in 2023 ( formerly known as Meta Asian Kitchen was voted 2021 WestWord Reader’s Choice Best Chinese Restaurant in Denver.
Founded by Chef Kenneth Wan and wife Doris Yuen. Meta Asian Kitchen started out in New York City and Jersey City as a street pop-up eatery. After moving to Denver in 2019, Meta Asian Kitchen situated themselves inside the Avanti Food Hall. Now Meta Asian Kitchen has graduated from food hall to brick & mortar. Our concept has evolved to tradition-inspired family-style Cantonese food under the new name MAKfam.
We are a Chef driven concept with the majority of our menu items being made from scratch, down to dumplings and dipping sauces. We are the place to be if you’re looking to expand your Asian food experience and are looking for opportunities for growth in your culinary career in a fast paced, and high volume kitchen.
About the Job:
This is a fast paced, high volume, high energy environment. We have spent the last four years building a brand and have been fostering a loyal following in our new neighborhood, Baker. We are looking for experienced Sous Chef who can meet the mental and physical demands of running service and managing the line with growth toward administrative duties such as scheduling and inventory management .
The ideal candidate is a level-headed person who can keep up with the needs of our customers, cares about hospitality as a career, communicates effectively to support the team and ensure a consistently smooth service. It is also important to be a genuinely good person who respects their fellow co-workers. We will not tolerate any sort of toxic attitudes or hostility between employees.
Applicants must have experience running a kitchens in the past and will have the opportunity to work side by side with Chef Kenneth in running MAKfam. High volume execution and knowledge of Asian cuisine is a big plus. Compensation will be salary based, amount will coincide with experience. Sous Chef at MAKfam will have 2 days off with work weeks consisting of 45-50 hours per week.
Duties and Responsibilities (which includes but not limited to):
– Adhere to health code standards, maintain cleanliness, and neatness in the kitchen.
– Must learn all stations (bao buns, fryer, saute, wok, expediter).
– Opening, mid shift flips, and closing procedures.
– Weekly and daily maintenance (deep sweeps, spray floor mats, oil change, soak hoods and grates etc.).
– Prep (making sauces, knife work, etc).
– Manage inventory and put away weekly deliveries from vendors (must be able to lift 50 lbs or more).
– Knowledge of the menu and recipes.
– Opportunity to showcase your skills and run your own food specials!
Additional work traits we are looking for:
– Maintain constant, effective communication with owners, co-workers, and guests.
– Ability to problem solve and be constructive when situations arise.
– Willingness to take direction, listen, and learn from others.
– Leave your egos at the door. We will not tolerate any toxicity and disruption in the work place.
– Have a sense of ownership and pride in your work. Simply put, you need to give a sh*t.
– Ability to maintain composure under high stress situations. We have plenty of experience at different levels of the culinary world, and experience opening new restaurants. Unexpected challenges arise for even the best-prepared teams and staying cool under pressure is a competency we are looking for.
Medical, Dental and Vision available after 60 days of employment.
Roth and Traditional 401K and matching after 6 months of employment.
Life Insurance, Short Term and Long Term disability.
48 hours paid sick time.
Punctuality is of the utmost importance. We will not tolerate consistent tardiness from any employee, especially for this type of managerial role. If you cannot show up to work on time, there will be no work for you here.