Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
Processes and issues routine and specialized medical/surgical supplies and instruments used in the care and treatment of patients. Cleans, high-level disinfects/sterilizes, and packages medical and surgical instrument trays and inventories.
1. Assembles baskets of instruments, basin sets and equipment using appropriate check lists and prepares for sterilization.
2. Assembles sets of supplies and instruments used in a variety of clinical settings. Checks for cleanliness and functionality (i.e. sharpness of scissors, smooth movement of hinged instruments, etc.)
3. Decontaminates, disinfects and thoroughly cleans supplies, instruments and equipment used in a variety of procedures.
4. Distributes instruments, equipment and supplies to appropriate location.
5. Monitors and maintains adequate levels of supplies, instruments and equipment.
6. Monitors equipment for malfunctions. Makes minor repairs. Notifies appropriate staff of need for more major repairs.
7. Demonstrates proficiency in reprocessing and maintenance of endoscopes and other endoscopic equipment per high-level disinfection (HLD) policy and manufacturer instructions (IFU). Maintain scope washers and washer adapters. Check detergent levels and effectiveness of disinfectant as per policy. Effectively communicates information regarding scope repairs, loaners, supplies and QI information by maintaining documentation of all actions. Wears PPE as per policy, maintains supplies needed for cleaning and reprocessing, and communicates effectively equipment failures and needed repairs. Accurately records data in appropriate logs.
8. Interacts with equipment according to manufacturer guidelines demonstrating a thorough knowledgeable of instrument and equipment IFUs and processes instruments.
9. Wears PPE as per policy.
10. Maintains supplies needed for cleaning and reprocessing and communicates equipment failures and needed repairs effectively.
11. Accurately records data in appropriate logs.
High School diploma or GED
No licensure or certification required.
Professional Experience Requirements:
No experience required.
If position is located at UNC Medical Center or Rex Hospital, nine months’ experience as a sterile tech is required.
If graduation from a sterile processing school, no experience is required.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
Legal Employer: NCHEALTH
Entity: UNC REX Healthcare
Organization Unit: Rex Sterile Processing
Work Type: Part Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 24.00
Work Schedule: Weekend
Location of Job: US:NC:Raleigh
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
This position is employed by NC Health (Rex Healthcare, Inc., d/b/a NC Health), a private, fully-owned subsidiary of UNC Heath Care System. This is not a State employed position.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
UNC Health makes reasonable accommodations for applicants’ and employees’ religious practices and beliefs, as well as applicants and employees with disabilities. All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please email …@unchealth.unc.edu if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.