Volunteers of America-Greater New York (VOA-GNY) is an anti-poverty organization that seeks to end homelessness in the New York metropolitan area by the year 2050. We focus our continuum of care to address the most prevalent causes of homelessness: (1) lack of affordable housing; (2) unmet health needs, including but not limited to mental health and substance use; and (3) lack of jobs that create wealth. In each of these areas we strive to incorporate strategies that address issues of racial equity. We know that our clients are confronting longstanding barriers to accessing quality housing, healthcare, and employment. Our programs are designed to ensure that our clients do not have to face these challenges alone.
Now in our second century of serving those in need, VOA-GNY understands what it takes to heal families and individuals who are in crisis and have experienced trauma. We operate and provide services in emergency shelters, transitional housing, and permanent supportive housing for close to 11,000 men, women and children through 65 programs located in New York City, Northern New Jersey, and Westchester annually. We are one of the largest providers of services to families and individuals experiencing homelessness in the Greater New York area, serving survivors of domestic violence, people living with HIV/AIDS, veterans, and others who have behavioral health or substance use needs. Many of VOA-Greater New York s programs are nationally recognized and meet the rigorous standards of accrediting bodies CARF, COA and the NAEYC.
The Maintenance Technician is responsible for cleaning and maintaining the building and grounds and minor repairs.
High School Diploma or GED with 1 year custodial and/or maintenance experience. Good communication skills.
This position does not have supervisory responsibilities
The below enumerated principal responsibilities are inclusive of both program specific and firm-wide related administration, as applicable.
1. Clean all areas and dispose of garbage in accordance with the facility schedule
2. Provide general interior and exterior maintenance (examples: floor stripping, power washing, plaster or sheetrock repairs, painting, lightbulb changing).
3. Maintain the facility landscape and perimeter (examples: lawn mowing, shrub trimming, snow removal, debris removal).
4. Complete work orders in a timely manner.
5. Accept and transport deliveries of supplies, furniture, and other program materials. Assemble furniture and equipment and maintain in working condition.
6. Assist in inventory control.
7. Be available and provide back-up in emergency situations
8. Perform other duties as required.
Expected Results of Principal Responsibilities:
1. A clean, safe environment is maintained.
2. Preventative maintenance tasks are completed. Building is clean at all times.
3. Building landscape and grounds are manicured and clean at all times.
4. Work orders receive prompt attention and are completed in a timely manner.
5. Deliveries are routed to the appropriate location.
6. Inventory is properly monitored.
7. Emergency situations are handled safely and professionally.
8. Related duties are performed completely, accurately and on time.
While performing the duties of the job, the employee will be in a residential shelter environment. Activities occur inside and outside.
While performing the duties of the job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. This position is active and requires standing, walking, bending, kneeling, stooping, and crouching. May require lifting, pushing, or pulling up to 50 pounds without assistance. Must be able to climb and work from a ladder.
This is a part-time position
Make a living by making a difference. Apply online today! Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Vets/Disabled/Other Protected Categories.
To apply, please visit the following URL:https://www.jobs2careers.com/click.php?jid=39b344a4b20d61e93a4a16e79&ri=945bd71ed3734adaa0db31894073c3dc&job_loc=Bronx%2CNY&q&spl=khPWOukZlKyjNvgB%3Am%2Fv82Pl4ZIDrc4cwrf%2FXrQ%3D%3D%3APr6LZOZ3QDG98dv214gFB5B18qwfn8ob3upJLBSMhg%3D%3D&encrypt=0&l=New+York%2C+NY→