Delivers direct care support, assistance and training to people with developmental disabilities, and/or TBI/Dual Diagnosis to consumers who live in various community settings. Provides opportunities for individuals to be as independent as possible based on each individual’s skills, preferences, needs, choices, and values. Encourages consumer to be involved in their community. The HCBSDCW will be an advocate for clients. HCBSDCW will ensure that all clients are treated with dignity and respect and provide assistive and emotional support to clients as needed. The HCBSDCW will assist clients in achieving their personal goals, which may include providing or arranging transportation for clients as indicated. The HCBSDCW will comply with all documentation regulations. Responsible for documenting progress toward goals, as well as report potential new needs to supervisor to help the client achieve independence.
Essential Functions (Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
1. Interacts with client served in a caring and respectful manner.
2. Becomes knowledgeable about each client and his/her plan of service.
3. Implements and documents interventions and goals as identified in each individual’s plan of services.
4. Provides training and assistance as needed in all daily living skills.
5. Areas of service include but are not limited to personal hygiene, grooming, housekeeping, laundry, meal preparation, money management, shopping, and social engagement.
6. Aides in vocational activities; and provides one-on-one assistance as needed.
7. Provides training and assistance as needed in areas such as health management, medication administration, communication, socialization, self-advocacy, skill development, and community integration.
8. Assists individuals in planning and participating in recreational activities of interest to individuals both at home and in the community.
9. Provides transportation in agency vehicles; or in personal vehicle. Maintains agency vehicles in clean manner.
10. Represents Lutheran Services Carolinas professionally in the local community and acts as a responsible, positive and healthy role model to influence growth and development of clients.
11. Accompanies individuals to medical and dental appointments as needed and communicates effectively with medical providers. Provides first aid as needed.
12. Attends trainings, staff meetings as required and maintains all necessary certifications.
13. Assist individuals with transferring and mobility as needed.
14. Documents relevant information in daily note or log, ISP/behavior support plans and other documents as required.
15. Provides behavioral supports as needed by role modeling appropriate behavior, and intervening, responding according to generally accepted standards and each person’s plan of service.
16. Interacts and communicates effectively with individuals stakeholders.
17. Other duties as assigned by supervisor to meet the needs of the individual’s served.
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements: (Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions).
1. Visits to residences and community required. Local travel/driving is required.
2. Shifts may vary from night to day.
3. Meeting with clients who have become agitated/frustrated/irritable.
4. Ability to bend, stoop, reach overhead.
5. Minimum ability to lift and carry minimum of 25 pounds. Lifting requirement will vary depending on client served.
6. In emergency/adverse weather conditions, additional coverage requirements are enforced and required.
Qualifications (Minimum Job Requirements): Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education: H.S. diploma or equivalent.
Experience: 1 year experience in Human Services field. TBI experience preferred for candidates in the Home and Community Based Services Programs.
Specific skills/abilities: Able to calmly handle stressful situations. Strong writing and computer skills. Able to communicate effectively and legibly in writing. Must exercise good judgment and decision making skills. Must be at least 21 years of age. Must be caring and compassionate, dependable, responsible, ethical, flexible and open-minded.
Specialized knowledge, licenses, etc: Certified Brain Injury Specialist (CBIS) certification preferred. Must have valid driver’s license and maintain a safe driving record acceptable to the insurance carrier for Lutheran Services Carolinas.